Friday, February 13, 2015

Flash Fic: They Call Me the Last Dragon

Part of an interview, via the Akashic, a online blog dedicated to the supernatural and informing the public of the dangers and threats of the supernatural as well.  However, not everyone regards them as anything more than fiction...

DRAGON
They call me the last dragon.  A poetic notion, an appellation about my age.  Many seek me out.  Sometimes it is with riddles.  Others ask me for forgotten stories.  And a few look at me, just to be able to make the claim.

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC
The Last Dragon.  Sounds... well, noble.

DRAGON
I hate that name.  Some idiot fool thought it was clever; I'd rather have the slayers get me.

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC
Oh.  Er- I am glad you were able to meet with me for this interview.

DRAGON
Of course.  I've never done one of these before.  Almost no one even asks.  Your kind always seem to never notice me these days.

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC
I've heard a lot about that.  The Veil the Magi sometimes call it.  As far as we can tell... 1602? 1603?  Ever since then, stories were divided into either fiction or nonfiction.  The public forget or ignore anything they regard as fictitious.

DRAGON
I'm fictitious now.  Ah.  How we begin...?  Do you ask me questions or what?  I'm rather used to- well, Jon Stewart.

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC
Really?

DRAGON
They call me the Last Dragon, not a luddite.

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC.
True.  I'd rather have this be a conversation, like Jon Stewart or other shows like that, yes.  I'll translate it into more legible prose, and that will be what will be posted on the blog for the readers.

DRAGON
Ah.  Well, back to what you said earlier- there is no known date for the beginning of the Veil.  It always has been.

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC
Wait.  It has always been?

DRAGON
The form of it has been fluid, though.  Sometimes... well, humans act differently under it.  Curiously, though... you and others believe it responsible for making your kind less observant of some things?

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC
Yes.  There seems to be a lack of... well, I guess acknowledgement of it really.  Most people would think me talking to a dragon was fiction, for example.  There is a lot of honest attempts to inform people of the dangers that gets misinterpreted as fantasy or science fiction.  Its frustrating at times.

DRAGON
It is hard for some to see the lie and the truth, to see them clearly.  Each story is true, but so the Veil carries a bit of the Lie with it.  It stains the truth.  They forget the importance of the Truth, and see stories as just stories.  There is little one can do, I imagine, facing that ignorance day in and day out.

JOHANN, THE AKASHIC
It is kind of frustrating... you say Truth, like "the Truth."  What do you mean by that?

DRAGON
Ah.  All stories, all dreams have a seed in them, a Truth.  When you hear them, you can get distracted by the Veil that covers that Truth.  But the Truth is still there.  No matter how distorted the tale, the Truth is there.  And so is the Lie.  True wisdom comes from seeing the Truth in all things.  Everyone, everything is just part of a story.  Death, birth, life- all of these are just Truths wrapped in Lies.

Your kind forgets this sometimes I think.  Humans do forget things, but you do try to do better.  Its your best redemptive trait- you seek to better yourselves.  My kind always fails to see past our worst sins, but humans... given a generation or two, you see those sins in your past and strive to not repeat them.  You falter, but you always try to learn from the stories you tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment